businessman/entrepreneur, graduated at the G.C.E. Level. After leaving school, he pursued his hobby of photography and joined the Stanley Motta Group – Jamaica’s first colour lab, where he was trained as a Lab Technician.
About a year later, he resigned and opened his own studio of photography and printing facilities. Thereafter he ventured into commercial photography by aligning himself with advertising agencies, doing work for corporations such as Air Jamaica, Bigsid Jeans, “Hush Puppy” Shoes etc.
In the late 1960s he entered a contract with Kong’s Real Estate Group, where he became one of the group’s top producers in real estate sales. He also worked with Beverley’s Recording, a subsidiary of Kong’s in producing album covers and photographs for local artistes such as Bob Marley, Ken Boothe, Toots and the Maytals etc. At the same time, he operated a small used car business – buying and selling motor vehicles.
Anthony Walker later acquired a contract with Vista Productions Limited and was trained as a Cinematographer working with movie cameras on a series of Commercial and Feature films including “The Harder They Come”.
In the early 1970’s, he entered the field of construction – building and selling private homes.
In the year 1973, he formed the company Quality Dealers Limited and obtained agency for Decramastic Metal Roofing Tile at a time when only one house in Kingston was roofed with Decramastic Metal Tiles. The company started with only three employees utilizing 124 sq.ft., of office space on Kong’s Real Estate’s verandah with warehousing under some trees.
In 1981 he formed the company Tony Walker Construction Realty Limited involved in real estate housing and developments.
He formed the QD Hardware Company Limited in 1982 to complement the construction needs of Tony Walker Construction Realty.
In the year 1984, he pioneered and built the company The Builders Arcade with the idea bringing all the major players within the Building Industry under one roof for the benefit of the consumer. Twenty-Eight major suppliers including Berger Paints, Sealy etc., participated. The official opening of the entity was done by the then Minister of Construction – The Hon. Bruce Golding.
Anthony Walker went on to form QD Roofing Limited in 1985, arising from his acquisition of the Decramastic Caribbean factory formerly located in Barbados, which he transferred to Jamaica.
In 1990, an alliance was formed with QD Hardware Company Limited and Ace Hardware International out of Oakbrook, Illinois, and the QD & Ace Superstore was born – the first of its kind in Jamaica in a supermarket setting.
To-date, it is estimated that the Group of Companies under the direction of Anthony Walker, has achieved some 60,000 – 80,000 different roofing solutions throughout Jamaica and could be considered the leading roofing contractors within the Caribbean. The group has done jobs from the Ministry of Construction’s gatehouse to major hotel projects such as Half Moon, Swept Away, Grand Lido, Ritz Carlton etc.
As a housing developer, he has carried on a number of developments including Leitham Townhouses, Palomino Terrace development, Mi Casita Apartments and recently Casitas of Vineyard Town – a development providing78 homes.
The group is considered a major supplier of building material within the Industry, and includes a Wholesale division with some Exports from the manufacturing arm to the Caribbean etc.
Focus and emphasis has now been placed on its core business – roofing and the expansion of the manufacturing plant for export. A decision is made to divest the hardware in general, keeping the more profitable areas namely the Flooring, Ceiling & Partitioning and Paint divisions.
The group of companies today, owns approximately 125,000 sq.ft., of commercial building space in addition to 230,000 sq.ft., of commercial land and has an asset base of over $1.7B under the watchful eyes of Anthony St. Ledger Walker.
Quality Dealers Group operates eight branches throughout Jamaica and provides employment for over 200 persons.
In October 2007 Anthony Walker was appointed Member to the National Works Agency’s (NWA) Advisory Board (this agency is responsible for all bridges and road networks throughout Jamaica). In April 2011 he was also appointed to the Board of Directors of the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) which entity is responsible for the administration of Government assets worth over $40B.
He is also a member of the Jamaica Manufacturers Association and The Realtors Association of Jamaica. He is a past member of The Incorporated Master Builders Association, the Private Sector Organization of Jamaica and the Jamaica Exporters Association.
During this period of time Anthony Walker/Quality Dealers Limited received the following recognition awards:
- 1980, Awarded for Outstanding Salesmanship by the President’s Club – The Consolidated Companies (Cleveland, Ohio)
- 1981, Recognition Award for Outstanding Efforts for Decramastic by AHI Caribbean Limited.
- 1990, Awarded for Highest Volume of Lumber Purchases for the Year by Hardware & Lumber Limited.
In 1989 Anthony Walker became a Certified Registered International Member of the International Real Estate Institute.
Through his high school years, Eladio spent his summers working at Quality Dealers in various departments. Graduating early from High School he took a year to study Business Administration at the Institute of Management and Production (IMP), while simultaneously obtaining his Private Pilot’s License.
He continued his studies at the University of Florida, where he achieved a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture. During his undergraduate studies, most summers were spent working with various architectural firms in Jamaica as well as Quality Dealers Limited. He furthered his studies pursuing his Master’s Degree at the University of Miami, graduating with his Masters of Architecture.
Upon graduation, he secured a job in the Cayman Islands working as an Architect where he was responsible for various Commercial, Single Family and Multi-family Residential projects.
Leaving C.I. in 2000, he rejoined QD in an administrative capacity responsible for various company operations, including the development and progress of various housing developments under Tony Walker Construction Realty Limited.
At present he is the CEO of Quality Dealers Ltd
- The Procurement of All Roofing Products; –
- Sourcing and Negotiating with Suppliers of Allusteel Products from Steel Mills worldwide; of Clay Products from Venezuela, Brazil and Colombia and of Stone-Coated Products from Korea and the United States.
- Ordering and Purchasing (through the Accounts Department) of all Roofing Raw Materials and Finished Goods.
- The Overseeing & Directing the Clearance and Storage of all Finished Goods – Inbond Warehousing with the following responsible personnel; –
- Customs Clerk – ensuring Clearance & Duty processing for all imports.
- Roofing Warehouse Manager – maintenance Inventory Records and the Delivery of Roofing products held in the Warehouse.
- The Manufacturing of Roofing Products through the Factory Manager who ensures; –
- Quality Control – including staff delegation and organization.
- The production of Finished Goods for Warehouse supplies island wide.
- Factory Building and Equipment maintenance.
- Distribution & Sales of All Roofing Products which includes; –
- The day-to-day running of Roofing Department Head Office in Kingston and 7 Branches Island wide – including Records Maintenance and the monitoring of over 50 Technical Sales Representatives and Installers Island wide along with Quota establishments.
- Liaison and teamwork with approximately 47 Distributors Island wide.
- The overseeing of Billing and Delivery of all Roofing Orders.
- Training and Quarterly Workshops for all Technical Sales Representatives as well as the Chairing of Fortnightly Departmental Meetings.
- Product Development – Promotion & Advertising.
B.Sc. – Gen. Mgmt., was born on December 22, 1977. He attended Hillel Academy up to the 10thGrade after which he left Jamaica to continue his High School education at the Florida Air Academy graduating with his High School Diploma in June 1997.
During all his teenage years he spent his summers and holidays working at his father’s business – Quality Dealers Limited from the ground floor up.
After leaving Florida Air Academy, he entered the Valencia Community College in Florida where is studied and obtained an Associate Degree in Business Administration graduating in December 2000.
During the period July to September 2000, he worked as a Data Entry Representative at Talk.com in Orlando, Florida. His job functions included Accounts Payable, Information Verification and Data Input.
He then went on to the University of Central Florida in Orlando, Florida to pursue his Bachelor of Science Degree majoring in General Management. He graduated in December 2002. During the period August 2001 to February 2003, he worked part-time as Customer Service Representative at BJ’s Wholesale. There, his functions included Member’s Activation, Data Information, Customer Service and assisting with organizing and ensuring that merchandise is on the shelves prior to opening each day.
In February 2003 he secured a job as Assistant Manager with Walgreens, Orlando, Florida where he was responsible for the daily operation of the store, Accounts Payable and Customer Service. This store operated on a 24-hour basis and he worked various shifts some of which included his operating as the Manager on Duty. He resigned in February 2004.
In March 2004 he returned to the family business at Quality Dealers Limited as Director of Quality Dealers Limited and General Manager of the QD & Ace Superstore where his portfolio included the following:
- Overseeing the general operations and development of the QD & Ace Hardware and Superstore both retail and wholesale.
- Travelling overseas to International Trade Shows by Ace Hardware Corporation and meeting with its thousands of vendors as well as attending seminars relating to product and customer development.
- Contributing to the development of and changes within the organization as well as to the Marketing/Promotions department to ensure consistent promotion of merchandise and keeping on top of the competition at all times.
- Overseeing the Purchasing department in relation to purchasing the right merchandise at the right price.
- Ensuring proper training of hardware staff in the area of Customer Service etc.
His activities include being an Alumni member of the following organizations:
- Alpha Kapa Psi, Nu Chi Chapter
- The Society for Human Resource Management